Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Tech TV R.I.P. or Why I Hate G4 SO MUCH!!!

Hey

I posted this on a message board a couple of days back, and I haven't updated in a little while, so here is my rant about G4

What irritated so many people about the ultimate demise of Tech TV? It because they said it was going to be a fair merger. Before the fusion, they showed G4 shows on Tech and vise versa. Then they made the name of the channel G4TechTV and basically put every show from TechTV on weekends. The TechTV shows (out of respect) removed all TechTV logos from their sets. But the G4 shows still used G4 microphones, called the website G4TV.com (including a show called that), and just ignored the fact that the Tech shows were there. Oh, and did I mention that when they first merged, G4 fired every single worker of Tech TV (even Adam Sessler) and made the re-apply for their jobs. You can tell that they didn't hire many Tech people back in the new Tech shows and slowly but surely they canceled every single Tech TV show except for X-Play (which is now more comedy based that review based and basically unwatchable compared to the old hit or miss X-Play or the godly old Extended Play) Finally when only X-Play was left, they renamed the station back to G4TV and called it a day.

It is so obvious that the station is run by clueless suits. They try to appeal to horny teens by making a digital fashion show. They appeal to hip-hoppers by putting on car shows (and I quote "with cars you want and girls you can't have"). They put on an award show because people like award shows (and believe me, if you thought the Spike TV Game Awards was bad... think Cosplay Fashion show and a CGI Mario accepting an award with bad VA and corny puns)

The only show I can watch on this horrible hybrid is Judgement Day. Not so much for the reviews (which go from saying that Graphics and Sound was nice and then quickly saying that the gameplay sucks at the end, to giving Bad Boys: Miami Takedown a good score because it's a budget-priced title) but for the rare games they highlight in the Buried Treasure segment and just for a laugh sometimes (not at the jokes). How I yearn to take a video game show seriously again. But the ultimate Video Games show (Extended Play) is long gone. That show used to review good games like a real review, and only make fun of the bad games (hilarious examples from the X-Play days (only because I can't remember Extended) Aquaman for Gamecube and Pokemon Channel) and I agreed with every review. Oh well.

So that is my long winded rant of an explanation at why I call G4 the MTV of gamers.

No comments:

Post a Comment