Sunday, September 09, 2007

Bungie Pro Rant

Another weekend, another post from Pudge. You people are so lucky. (technically it's still the weekend with 5 minutes left right?) Anyway, I typed this up a little while back when Bungie announced Bungie Pro. Everyone's free Fileshare on Halo 3 will be limited to 25MB of space and 6 slots. When I read it, I was very confused, and this is what came out...

I hope someone at Bungie explains this one thing to me, why in god's name do you have to limit the slots? In Halo 2 I spent hours tweaking gametype variants to perfection and testing them out with friends. I was one of the people that contributed to the Team Actionsack playlist back when I was really into Halo 2, giving you Brutality (certainly not one of my best creations, but I guess I just like the Brute Shot better then most of the populous.) I am certainly a beloved figure in my circle of friends for coming up with new ways to play in the somewhat limited customization options of Halo 2, and when I started playing the beta and my friend got me into the Custom Games menu, I realized that I would have so much more fun with Halo 3 because of the limitless game options I could tweak. I was excited that I could share my hard work with people outside my circle of friends and maybe be noticed a little bit more. Then I read about Forge and again I was speechless, thinking that not only could I make new game variants, I could tweak maps to fit them as well. I was mostly excited because, although I knew that in order for the servers to run you would need to limit space per person on File Share, I thought that with the space being big enough for game films, I could post many of my creations at once because variants (and I assume forge edits) are very small files, in the Kilobytes. Then I read todays update... I was confused. I know that no matter if you have 1 10GB file or 10 1GB files, it still takes up the same room on your servers. It shouldn't be an issue to store as many files as possible within the 25MB of space, and even if it is an issue, the number shouldn't be in the single digits, because I know that 6 video files is probably going to fill in the 25MB anyway.

If you have the space to give us, the only reason I see for limiting the number of items is to get every one like me that has been a loyal Halo fan since it's inception, and still plays Halo 1 every week on System Link with my friends, to pay and extra $10. On top of the extra 10 that we are already paying this generation for new games. On top of the extra ten that many of your loyal fans are spending on the limited edition. On top of the untold amount of money we hardcore fans will spend to get new maps a few months early. Is that really what M$ wants? To squeeze the people that brought them to the dance. Without Halo, Xbox would be a memory piled on with the Apple Pippin and the Celecovision and everyone knows it. Please give me some sort of reason to falsify this, cause otherwise you are nothing but corporate sellouts, and that is bullshit pure and simple.

I'm still confused as to why they would limit slots, but I think this Blog will be a good tool for archiving all my creations just in case someone wants to see something again.

-15 Days and 2 Minutes till Halo 3!! 1337 1337
Pudge

No comments:

Post a Comment